Wednesday, January 2, 2008

John Williams & Dean Magraw

On Friday the 7th I had received a call from Dean saying that John had just got off the plane from Chicago and they would take me up on my offer to record their show. So, after several fevered calls, trying to find a second digital cam, my hunt was fruitless and I was left with my only other option at the time - my old analog 8mm. I wanted the ability to cut away to a second cam as I zoomed in for a closeup and to break up the monotony of a single viewpoint. With my Panasonic DVC30 and my old Sony 8mm, I was stuck with going from a very high quality shot to a very low one. Editing would have to be somewhat creative.

Tim and I showed up to discover that the sound recording equipment they thought would be available was not. In the case that my cam mics would not capture a decent enough quality or volume we wanted another source. Tim then flew back to St. Paul for his Zoom recorder and set it up just before John and Dean went on.

Playing at the Cedar Cultural Center had become a tradition for John and Dean. John Williams is the only American-born musician to win first place in the Senior concertina competition. He has five All-Ireland titles to his name and is proficient in button accordion, flute, bodhran and piano. Dean Magraw is an acoustic and electric guitar virtuoso playing his styles of Irish, Jazz and World music with intuitive genius.

Every tune they play conjures up a living spirit. This spirit rises, dances about the stage, flows through their fingers, instruments and combines with the soul of every one in attendance. You are mesmerized – transfixed with a special joy and disbelief as you exchange occasional glances of disbelief with your friend. Then, as subtly as the spirit visits, it vanishes.

John and Dean seem to be one in the same person up on that stage. Eyes often closed, fingers liquid and rhythmic and hearts both yearning and playful. And in addition to all of this music they told many a funny story of Ireland, Japanese friends learning Irish English and French friends drinking too much Talisker. You laughed hard and stayed happy.

So, I now have a DVD of their show to share with them and a few others. If you yourself would like a sample of the evening, check out the follow videos. For more, be sure to watch You Tube.

Cheers for now!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home