Thursday, October 9, 2008

Coastal Monarchs

The morning in Camden was gray after a night of incoming clouds and rain. But the rain passed away in time for some shooting. After some calls to properties and whatnot, it was another hour and a half drive, further down the main coast.

Those first evenings near Bar Harbor were quite chilly! So, as I drop down the coast in 70 mile increments, I become very appreciative of the warmer weather! Most days have been sunny and the temperature rises through the 60's. There is a light coastal breeze and the leaves are a soft array of mustard yellows, oranges and soft reds. Sometimes you will see a blazing red maple standing out from his fellows.

The drive to Newagen (New Wagon) branches off of Coastal Route 1 and down another extending limb. Quite suddenly, you can find yourself still on a main route though it feels like you are driving down a village alleyway. Many of these towns seem to have a series of terraced levels which you can only imagine haven't changed routes much in the last 200 years. There are many little bridges over harbor channels and fishing and sail boats all around.

I stopped into a dock and grabbed a half pound of fresh, raw jumbo shrimp with some sauce. Driving further in the woods of Newagen I found a place near a leave covered pond where I pulled over and munched away.

I caught a few shots of the pond and will include one out-of-focus picture which I think looks remarkably like an impressionist painting! It sums up the fall display quite nicely! Oh, and impressionist painting are about all my camera is good for now. My lens is so covered with dirt, and growing sea salt crystals that my poor little digital camera is doing its best. The pictures may require some Photoshop! :( Plus, I neglected to bring the memory flash card for my SLR. :( Needless to say, most of my time is spent with my video camera anyway!

The shoot brought me to a stunning property on the rocky coast. The inn had been there since the 1800's. It had charm and warmth though was closing down for the season. Out on a little island near the property was a red house that the wicked witch from the Wizard of Oz lived in! I was also taken on a mile-long trek through the woods to catch some shots of their nature trails.

Finally, down near the water was an metal plaque affixed to a rock, memorializing Rachel Carlson of monarch butterfly fame. I am happy to announce that even before I was aware of this, a monarch had stopped and posed for me right out on a landing. The usually fly away before I can capture them. But this one was stopping to say hello.

I ended my stay with some final shots of the waves crashing upon the coast.

Another 70 or so miles brought me down to Sebasco Estates. Mostly having a country club feel, it nonetheless offered some great shots of a setting sun across the harbor.

For dinner I forced myself to eat some fried oysters (the frying part I object to, not the oyster part) a salad and some Maine rootbeer. For dessert I had a whooppie pie, which looked like a giant round oreo. It was thin, soft chocolate cakes which encased a white, oreo-like cream. I like the root beer the best and was thankful I ate the salad.

Tomorrow brings more shoots and more driving, continuing to go further and further south.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home