Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Eating Kangaroo and Horseback Riding

On Monday I went on a solo daytime venture. Catching the bus from Albany to downtown Auckland, I found my way to the Sky Tower. It is the most noticeable landmark in Auckland, extending far up above the skyline and as you near it you can see the two guide cables which extend from the edge of its saucer to the ground platform. On non-windy days people get strapped in and dropped the hundreds of feet to the base. Not on a windy and wet day like today did I see anyone falling. I caught the link bus to the the museum. Getting to the right places caused some anxiety but I always found someone helpful to provide me with the correct info, minded the names of the stops and had 2 and 1 dollar coins ready in my pocket. One could pay in bills or cards if they needed but I wanted to be as uncomplicated as possible.
The entrance to the museum and the gardens was a long-ish walk, winding through other gardens and greens. The entire area was actually called the Auckland Domain, so I wasn't initially certain if I was entering a mental asylum or the museum. I paid a brief visit to the gardens, similar to the Como Conservatory and the walked around to the museum entrance, a large, traditional, column-faced entry with a memorial to "The Glorious Dead" out front and a Kiwi flag above.
The museum was a good one. The featured exhibit was on the Egyptian death ceremony and the other exhibits featured the Maori and islander history, natural history (which included the 9 foot Moa bird) and a beautiful and British-feeling level dedicated to all the Kiwis who served and died in war. I spoke for awhile to a Canadian girl who worked there, had something to eat and then decided to walk back to the center of Auckland. On the way I spent some time in the central cemetery, through which a bridge had been built. I continued my walk, taking in the ambiance and did some filming. I purchased two seasons of 'Bro Town,' a very funny cartoon produced down here, and a candy bar. I then caught the bus back to Albany and met up with Rob. We then went to Rob and Kel's kick-boxing class. After learning how to wrap up my knuckles it was then to an intense hour butt-kicking led by a navy combat trainer. It was very cool but very exhausting. I felt pukey but also quite enjoyed the martial arts aspects and drills. All my years of practicing my Ninja skills and sparring with Jim paid off. ;) Then, oh yes then, it was off to fill my Hobbit-tummy! We went to the Winebox where I had a great Kiwi meat trio of Ostrich, Kangaroo and Lamb. The ostrich and kangaroo had a beef-like texture and appearance and tasted like it as well with a somewhat gamey flavor. We drank Sauvignon Blanc.

Today I had chance to go horseback riding! Kel drove me to Muriwai beach where I met my guide. It was nice to have a guide all to myself. I donned a helmet and reflective vest but felt only half as dorky as when in my Waitomo cave uniform. We rode the volcanic black sands of Muriwai. The wind had whipped the waves up into a rhythmic, gentle, fury and the coast extended on and on. (Evidentally, both the beach and woods we would soon visit were featured in Lord of the Rings. I'll have to look that bit up, but it certainly felt of Middle Earth.) The paths through the woods felt of Fangorn forest. Wonderful. We trotted a bit, but I just don't have that down yet and I end with me goolies smarting. It was a great trip. Kel and I then visit where the gannet colony resides, a British shop and did some shopping for dinner. Tonight I thought I'd show them Tim's Cha Cha's White Chicken Chili. Rob is making enchiladas...and margaritas.
My Kiwi blogs are nearing their end. One more to go I think. I'm sad about it. Even focusing on annoying Kiwi idiosyncrasies doesn't make this leaving any easier. The magic is ever-present. The gum trees that silhouette almost every horizon, the casual fleece and hoodie culture of clothing, nature embedded into every moment of consciousness, the food, the Maori, well... another time. There is much that I am returning to and that thought makes me happy. I better help with the cooking and get off of this now. Good on ya.' Love you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home