Monday, October 13, 2008

All Sail Set!

An individual somewhat cringed when he heard I was headed to Old Orchard. In his opinion, it was an obnoxious place. He thought it a place like St. Pete's Beach or Fort Meyers. Need a shirt was a nice slogan?

Having visited the place I'd have to agree somewhat. I mean, it's Maine, so it has a beauty to it, no matter the level of touristy trappings. I did feel as though I was back in Florida. There was a great, long sandy beach and the motel that I stayed at didn't have much resemblance to the stylish or historic resorts that populate much of the coast. Down near the pier is a collection of beach stands and a junior version of Coney Island, that was shut down for the season.

I caught lunch at Jimmy the Greeks. My interest in the place was obvious, but as I approached the entrance some bikers cat-called at a woman's keister. Yep, I knew what kind of place this was. They might deserve some slack, being that it was near Octoberfest, but it does seem like more than one Italian and Greek joint appeals to the biker crowd. Inside, ouzo and Greek salad was about the extent of their Greek offerings. So, I had both. There's something I find yummy in that strong anise (black licorice) flavor of ouzo. And if you ever burp it up, the anise flavor is so strong that it hides any disagreeable flavor!

I shot over to the Nubble lighthouse, one of the most popular on the coast of Maine. It sat on the top of an island that was separated slightly from the shore by a channel. The sun was warm and people were enjoying the day. There was a wedding party doing their shoots, kids crawling in the rock crevices and plenty of couples sharing the moment. One had even set up their folding chairs on the rocks and were reading the paper. Most stayed in the parking lot area and gazed across, so there remained places where you could walk and enjoy some alone time.

After some more shooting, I head back for a lazy run on the Atlantic sand beach. A little Vangelis provided a perfect musical score. The moon was rising as the waves came in. I ran to catch the last rays of the setting sun.

The next day it was down to York Harbor, an inviting village of pristine colonial resorts. The inn I shot was a collection of centuries-old houses, a basement tavern designed with magnificent woodwork. You immediately felt as though you were below deck of a ship. Across the way was a park that overlooked the beaches and arching bay below. Kayakers and fishing boats set out to the waters beyond. The sun was bright and the warmth made everything alive.
I got the experience of a New England traffic jam. The two-lane route was backed up
the direction that I was going - Kennebunkport. So, instead of the projected 25 minutes, it took an hour.

Upon pulling into Kennebunkport, you immediately get the idea that this is a huge tourist attraction. I had heard beforehand that this was quite the upscale destination. It centers around a harbor area. You drive over a bridge and cross the Kennebunk river which connects to the ocean. As you look out towards the ocean side, there are fishing, recreational and tour boats anchored in the harbor. The tidal flow moves in every six hours and causes the harbor to rise and fall about 10 feet.

The downtown is packed full of shops. If you are a shopper of nick-nacks, art and clothing on the pricier end of things, you'd like this place. There are quite a few restaurants, most offering seafood specialties. But you can find some less expensive food in little shacks and some have daily specials that offer things such as pizza for around $10. There is also at least two little cafes offering coffee, muffins and the like.

I was shooting a spectrum of lodgings and took time in-between to explore. Initially, I dismissed the place as a rich-person haven. And, while it is, I was able to find some cool offering after some more poking around.

For my only day without a property shoot this trip I chose to find an activity that would highlight one of the best excursions you could find here - sailing upon a schooner!

Prior to setting sail, I focused on what I thought the most striking characteristic of Kennebunkport, the colonial houses. Since they were mostly built in the time before and after the American Revolution, they were of Georgian and Federalist design. Three to four-story houses, with shuttered windows, hipped roofs, and prominent brick chimneys. It could not be a better day, sunny and with leaves at their peak! As I overheard one gentleman exclaim, "September and October. This is why we live in New England!"

Down at the docks I boarded the schooner Eleanor, based off a 1935 design. With both aft motor and bow thrusters we spun around and motored out of the bay. We passed the Bush's large, three-engined sport boat and killed the engine once out of the river. With one captain and one crew the four sails were raised and we caught the wind. The Eleanor cut through the smooth sea. The wind was perfect. I shimmied about the deck, getting shots from the bow and beneath the masts. Other ships were out sailing in the late afternoon sun. This would be the final sail of the Eleanor for the season and I counted myself lucky to be on board.

When we returned, I said my goodbyes and head to end the day with another iconic Maine event - the eating of lobster. Having studied the paper placemat instructions that adorn many Maine tables, I felt I was prepared to dive in. I cracked the 'crusher' and 'pincer' claws and pulled out the meat. I ripped off the tail from the body, pulled off the end of the tail and pushed out that meat. Sucking the juices from the little legs I saved the 'best' for last. Opening the body exposed what some consider to be the 'delicacy' of the lobster, the tomalley. I first questioned the big blob of green cottage cheese and then slurped some of it up. Delicacy? Hmm. I think I enjoyed the meat the best. But does an amateur know?

After shoots the following day I took a short drive down the coast to view Walker's Point, where George H.W. Bush has his summer home. It is a pretty place, built in the early 1900's by the Walker family. Bush spent many summers here and several world leaders have visited. There is a pull-off which gives you a good view. You can see the flag pole flying the American and Texan flag and another I could not recognize. I admired the building, location and the little spinning windmill. It felt somewhat solemn and I imagined that no Bush residence has been a happy one as of late. I wished them the best and continued back into town for some scallops. Scallops are pronounced with an 'awl' instead of 'Al.' Scawllops. Scaaawlops.

Finally, there is a Franciscan monestery on the other side of Kennebunkport which called for a visit. Though closed I knelt below the illuminated Virgin Mary and said a few prayers. On the altar was an assorted of all kinds of offerings from guitar pics to gemstones. I had nothing to offer but instead traced some latin and Sindarin on the altar. Before the monastery stood St. Anthony and the customary baby Jesus in his arms. Saying a final goodnight to my patron saint I head back to get some sleep.

Tomorrow is Kennebunkport, York Harbor and Chocorua, New Hampshire. A busy day but its wonderful to be moving on again!

And oh, catch this, I was able to watch both the Minnesota Senatorial debate and the Wild beat the Bruins in the same evening. All the way out here in Kennebunkport!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home