Sunday, February 22, 2009

At Elevation

My last property to shoot in San Antonio was a posh place that was the favorite of many celebrities. It was relatively-new and was quite dark inside. That never makes it much fun when one uses available light sources for illumination! Behind a big display case was a collection of blown glass oranges, each with the autograph and various comments made by the celebrity it was given to. There was quite the collection in there, Bill Cosby, JaRule, bands such as Tool, the Jonas Brothers and Blink 182, Marc Anthony and J-Lo. One of the very first rooms that I shot was J-Lo's favorite.

That evening I went on a little stroll through the downtown area and ended up eating down by the Riverwalk. I would explore this in more detail the following day.

The following day the sun had decided to make an appearance! It had hid from me during most of my Texas visit and now, it made this all the more merry. It improved my mood quite a bit too. So, with my 20-pound, constant companion, camera and tripod upon my shoulder, I found a convenient place to part just outside the main downtown area (by the big broadcast attenae) and head towards the Riverwalk.

My first stop was at a little Mexican square, called La Vallita that was an artist enclave. It was nice to find a cozy bit of history and stone warming in the sunlight, so near the bustle of the downtown area. Bolivar Hall, and old church and fountain seemed to be significant landmarks.

But now I continued past the the big red twisted monument, given to the US from Mexico and supposing to symbolize hands shaking in friendship. Near this is one of the stairways down to the Riverwalk, an area that is one level below the streets and through which part of the San Antonio river runs through. While the city once considered covering it as a storm sewer it now acts as the main attraction in San Antonio. This channel of mud-colored water curves through the city. All along it are walkways on each side and many shops and restaurants. There are also many popular hotels along its banks, including the one that I videoed. I even saw a cute mob of little ducklings.

I walked and shot, interviewed and did some on-camera bits - a little Rick Steve's action. I ended the visit with a tour on one of the boats that go up and down the channel. For $7.75 you get a 35-minute tour of the river. It passes under the many bridges, takes the many curves and brings you to the edges of some very big buildings. I found our Mexican tour guide to be very funny. I think I found him more funny than most others. Tough crowd! Goodbye to San Antonio, my namesake and saint of Padua, patron saint of children and lost things!

Now it was time to drive up to Austin to stay one night and shoot the next day, an historic and swanky mansion. When I pulled in there were big ol' boys smoking cigars on the front porch. I was more interested in the signs of a college town everywhere. That should mean at least once decent cafe! And, that is what I did, found myself a cafe, did some work and then retired.

The day was sunny and the shoot went well. I was excited, as the end of this shoot meant that I would be able to visit my brother now, living in Austin. So, off it was to Jollyville in no time at all!

My visit was very pleasant. My brother showed me some popular sites in the area, including a cool overlook onto Lake Austin. It appears much more like a river, this long stretch of water with a bridge crossing over it. But, in the sun and on the edge of a cliff it felt most nice. Afterward we caught up with his wife and we then visited some of her favorite haunts. There was a nice stone path in a place called the Arboretum. What I liked most was these smoothly-polished stone cows beneath a grove a trees with a sign that read "Climb at Your Own Risk." How cool! I just wished I would have climbed on them. We then went down to Lake Austin and visited the shore and eventually a bar and restaurant.

The area around the lake was accessible by everyone. However, as you looked all along the hills facing the lake you saw the enormous houses, seemingly crammed into every possible space. The rich seemed to claim this view as their own. Even in Austin it seemed to reflect much of what I saw everywhere in Texas, the lack of public land. Only 4% of Texas lands are public. Expect to see fences everywhere you go.

At the end of the night it was time to head back. We had some Compari, that strong red, Italian liquor that tastes like you are drinking concentrated citrus rinds. But my hermano's wife made a good concoction of orange juice, lime and compari. Quite civilized. ;) Then it was some down time with the bro and it just so happened he had the free trial period of cable and wouldn't you know it, Flight of the Conchords was on! Ah, sweet medicine! But I was sad. It was nice seeing my brother. But seeing him, makes me miss him.

In the morning I left as they left for work. They departed and I finished getting all my gear ready in the car. Then, as I went to start my little PT Cruiser. Nothing. What compounded issues was that I was in a little gated complex. The puzzle was going to be just how to make this work with the rental company and get to the airport on time!

But, it worked out, I was given a replacement and able to head to the airport on time for a flight to Denver.

Arriving around 5pm or so, I got my new rental, and head into the mountains. What I noticed first was the complete lack of snow in Denver. But, as I made my way out of Denver and into the mountains, the snow hit hard. The same 20+mph winds that had made my airplane landings one of the more sketchy, with the yawing of the nose back and forth, had decided to throw plenty y of snow. The traffic was packed as all of the people were headed to the slopes for the weekend.The big flakes whipped and spun and began to make me a wee bit dizzy. I stayed in that left lane and was glad to have the tail lights in front of me as visible signs of the road were gone. We went up, but mostly down in curving this way and then that, was the pattern. I put on some droney music and just tried to chill.

Sometimes a mountain tunnel would come and give you a brief reprieve from the storm, but, it would end in an almost comical end. At the end of the tunnel were multiple flashing signs and warnings such as: 'Icy Road,' 'High Winds' and 'Watch for falling rocks and animals!' Each minute closer to my destination was a better moment for me. One of the last sites was in the opposing lanes where there were the flashing lights of emergency vehicle after emergency vehicle and a backup of traffic for miles. I just need to get there!

And here, is Breckenridge. I was here shooting at this time last year but for a much longer stint. Now it is for shorter time, thankfully! The weather is has been absolutely beautiful so far! The days have been sunny and warm, skies blue, with the occasional white clouds and the mountains covered with snow. Quite a pretty site! The shoots have gone well, but busy and I look forward to wrapping them up!

Well, that is it for now. I shall check back in if able but wanted to send a cheers!

One more thing... about this time last year, from the same part of the country I am now, I gave a little recognition to the loss of one the greatest actors of our times, Heath Ledger. Tonight, he may be recognized posthumously at the Oscars. Here's to his memory and legacy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home