Monday, January 14, 2008

Snowmass Village

Well friends, here I am. It has been quite the experience! We flew into Denver and then drove our rental RAV 4 through the snow-covered Denver mountains. Dusk approached as we found our way past Aspen and into Snowmass village, tucked into the enormous ski mountain of Snowmass, in which some 16 Walt Disney Worlds would fit. We checked into our condo, which linked directly to the slopes.

Our days have consisted of filming properties and local sites. During the end of the first day of shooting I was asked if I wanted to have a go and so I said yes. I've been doing some property filming as well as taking footage of surrounding scenery. It is a tad bit different, doing this as a living. Knowing that I want to get every shot just right and also learning the equipment, has added a bit of an edge that effects my natural artistic judgment. But so far, so good. I just want to do the best job possible!

The lifestyle is a bit of an adjustment as well. I've participated in some pretty high-end stuff. Coming from the public sector and social service-oriented world it is a bit of cultural shock to be eating at such high end places and being exposed to top-end luxuries. I'm not complaining, but am looking forward to going about things with my own approach in the future.

It is a type of boot camp, being away from home and trying to do things the best that I can - proving that I am the right person for the gig. Like I said, it is going well, but oh so new. Our assignment may even keep us here longer than anticipated. It is possible that we will add a week or so to our agenda depending on what transpires. So, instead of a return on the 3rd, it may be the middle of the month instead!

Anyhoo, I've eating fabulous sushi at Kenuchi's (I recommend people try salmons skins as they are inexpensive and a secret treat) where we we had a wide range of fare, had some of the most tender baby back ribs ever at the Aspen Hickory house, and eaten at other incredible foods elsewhere. I've snowboarded at 11,000 feet, filmed Maroon Bells mountains, visited dogsledding huskies, walked the snowglobe town of Aspen, drank with an Irishman and a Brazilian and participated in other similar activities. Oh, for the the New Zealander's... The Irishman plays rugby and went on and on about it. He told me of being run over by a former All Black player. When I asked the name of that one All Black that I remember Kiwi's making such a fuss about, making a come- back from a kidney transplant, he stated, "That's the one!" I'll dig up his name to be more specific later.

I really miss the people that I want to be having these experiences with and am anxious to get home. But, only about 1/5 of the journey is complete. So, I'll do my best at doing my best here, so that I can secure this gig (which looks quite secured already) and then I'll be able to make the most of the time with the people I miss so much when I return!!!

Sorry for the ramble, but I'm doing this in a rush and borrowing this computer. I'll try to sneak some pics on as well. I miss home something awful but will promise to do my darndest here!

The next entry I hope to make more informative and less tangentle. Miss you, but on to Breckenridge I go!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hah! That rugby player would be Jonah Lomu. I sat by him at the Wellington airport one day. Small world eh?

How'd you like snowboarding in the big mountains?!

January 15, 2008 at 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home