Monday, January 28, 2008

Hot Springs and Rocky Mountain Oysters

On Saturday we stopped at Mountain Rose for breakfast we made a 2 hour drive north to Steamboat Springs. On the way here we passed through a stunning, narrow canyon of sharp spires which later opened to sporadic buttes. The further north we went the more we saw signs of recent snow. There were occasional pull-offs packed with big American-made trucks and snowmobile trailers. In the open glades, through the pines and even up the snowy side of mountain slopes you could see fresh paths made by sleds. After the town of Cremmling the valleys open up. You could see some vegetation growing on the dome-shaped, snow-dusted, crumbly granite mountains but very little in the slate valley. Down into Winter Park we go. The village composed of plenty of shops and nice condominium complexes which rose up to the base of the ski slope.

If it’s possible to believe there is more of a money-feel to Steamboat Springs than Winter Park. Not as much as Aspen, but still healthy with fancy leather, fur, jewelry shops and restaurants. We ate a Swiss/German lunch at Heidi’s. I had a liver loaf, roast beef, tomato, onion, horseradish and emmenthal (Swiss) cheese on sourdough bread. It was one of the happiest sandwiches I’ve eaten. Cut in half, the shaved meat was some two inches thick! It was served up with a pickle and some spatzle, which is pretty much like a scrambled dumpling plate. Very common in Germany, I guess. Yumm.

We visited in more shops. I’ve visited ski shop after ski shop after ski shop after ski shop after ski shop after ski shop. Not by choice of course, but I’ve had my fill. As an exercise, I am trying learn at least one new thing when I enter a shop. But that gets old too!

On Sunday we discovered that a client needed to reschedule so we set out to shoot Strawberry Hot Springs. Set in a valley, the hot spring river flows down rocks and into sandy-bottomed, rock-ridged pools. There are a series of different changing huts, all different in construction. One of the newer had a uniquely curved roof, one heated by a small gas stove and one was a teepee. You would change and then make your way down the slippery, encircling path. Each pool decreased in temperature. The first pool was where we spent most of our time. Being that there was an ice-cold mountain stream feeding the lowest pool, I had to be certain to give it a visit. The challenge of spending time in the freezing water was more enticing than its comfort. But it was a nice mental workout to enter the water without cringing or uttering a sound and then making ones way to the deeper areas. Snow caps iced the trees and it provided a Zen-like atmosphere to meditate in, and the occasional trout swam by my feet. Returning to the hot water was pretty cool, though. The previous hot spring pools I've visited had that 'farty bathwater' sensation. Not here. The water was crystal clear and there was no hydrogen sulphide odor. That's usually means it's a shallow spring unlike the deep ones in Yellowstone.

On our drive back we spotted some Reindeer laying in the woods. At first we thought they might even be caribou, but after a closer look, discovered they must be on someone’s farm. One had atypical antlers, which was a bit odd. I almost had the urge to herd them like my Sami ancestors (according to my genotype, eh, grandma?). JK. They make an ok picture, though.

Guess where we stopped after that? Just guess! Well, if you can’t figure it out I’ll tell you. We stopped at yet another ski shop. Luckily for me they had good book selection so I camped there. But I did have to peruse a little bit. North Face, Patagonia, Arcteryx, Marmot, Kuhl, Mountain Hardware, Cloudveil, Orage, and Outdoor Research are all popular brands here. Very good, expensive clothing, just like you find at REI. I even discovered a thin jacket for $900. That’s a lot of money. You can imagine the kind of people that would buy that. You get an idea of some of the upper end in these parts. Makes me miss Fleet Farm and Menards. I did buy a book of survival stories since it had a Victor Hugo tale and one on the Shackleton expedition.

For lunch I had a plate of testicles and a pulled pork sandwich. I had never had Rocky Mountain Oysters and when I saw that you could find them at Steamboat Springs, I had to have some. Double Z’s BBQ had them so we went and brought the video camera. Had to do a wee bit of a segment of me munchin on ‘em. We sat at a high table right near the kitchen. With music blaring bands like Rush and Extreme, I felt like I was back in high school working in Blackie’s or Ron & Ally’s kitchen. The testicles were batter fried and it really wasn’t anything at all to eat them. The bigger ones were a little cartlidge-chewy but they were not strikingly odd and tasted good. I’d like to try them raw and just see what that is like. That will be during a later trip.

On Monday we shot two properties. One was an old school hotel which had a fun sign now protected by the historical register. An old neon and cartoon rabbit sign. The other properties spread throughout many newer condominum complexes. The manager motioned to many other complexes, which in no way looked decrepit, but were to be torn down this year. The rate of development and money pouring into these ski towns is in drastic contrast to what is happening in the remainder of the nation.

We had a few tacos and then went to a soda fountain for a malt. Food is not in short supply. I also checked out cowboy hats at FM Hill & Sons. Quite an historical place. In 1905 Frank Hill left Ohio and headed west. Along with his wife and seven sons he was looking for a cure for his asthma. Along the way he discovered that Steamboat Springs did not have a men's clothes shop. So, he created one. It is now run by the fourth generation. I found a nice Stetson, much like Sam Elliot wears. Not much practical use for such a thing. I even resisted the adage that if you find one you like and it fits, get it! Though, the tag hanging on the brim makes quite the impression. Ghetto cowboy. I think I'll by a Winchester rifle first.

Tomorrow we hit the slopes. Although they have been forecasting deep snow, the predictions keep getting cut back. It would be nice to experience one day of 'pow' (powder). Though we haven't been able to find anyone to 'huck' (jump off of) cliffs, there is other footage to capture.

Oh, I've added music to the site. This is just a test. If it becomes annoying, scroll down to the right and click the player off. Have a good week everyone!

Post Script - The snow and wind just picked up real good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home