Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Sledding Fraser Valley and Mountain

Today we got additional footage for a property we had shot on Wednesday and caught some breakfast at a local joint. I actually got the half portion of biscuits and gravy. I’m trying to cut back. Although I’ve a Hobbit-tummy in rate of consumption I don’t want one in relative girth.

Next, I did one of the coolest things yet... riding a sled through the mountains! One of the cool things about this gig is getting to do amazing things in return for providing them some free advertising. So, working the ways, we got a comp 2-hour sled (snowmobile) through the Fraser Valley and mountains. Dressing in our warmest gear we grabbed the camera and arrived before the group of eight we were going to join. “Trailblazers” was one of the oldest snowmobile outfits in the state. Their sleds were primarily 4-stroke Yamaha and Artic Cat, many of which were mountain sleds, having a longer track which prevents them from flipping over backwards when you ascend steeps.

We met our two guides named Doug and Doug (good omen, eh Doug?). One would guide my director and I up ahead to catch some cool shots of the group of business folk, out for a team-building venture and lead by the other Doug. Did I mention that I’ve never really rode a sled before? So, you can imagine how the upcoming uncertainty provided a tad bit of anxiety for me. But I was going to roll with it, be honest about being a greenhorn and give it my damndest. Of course I knew it was going to be exciting, just no idea how.

After grabbing a helmet and boots and hearing the safety briefing, the three of us sped off. The guide Doug in front with 19 years of experience, then my director who used to race sleds and had stuck one 20 feet up in a tree and then me. You already know my experience.

At first the trails weaved this way and that through the trees. It was a forest and so you would weave back and forth through the pines with only a ruler’s length to spare on either side. I was only going about 10-15mph which felt plenty fast for me, not want to catch a ski on the adjacent trees already scarred from previous meetings. I kept my eyes ahead, mindful of the trees and the sleds ahead of me. At splits in the trail the two ahead would slow and signal to me and then carry on.

At times there would be glades or other nice places for a shot where we’d stop for a bit, then take off again. At more open stretches I’d throttle up to about 40 mph, but would quickly slow down with the turns, obscured by brush and trees.

There were plenty of times when my anxiety was replaced with joy. Here I was, sledding in the Vasquez Mountain Range, golden bands of sun breaking through the pines in their snow blankets and catching the mist of snow, all a-sparkling. And as we curved upwards on the switchbacks, the view to the valley-side was that of the 3 sisters, mountains that were catching the full final rays of the sun.

We stopped for a nice spot to catch some video of the group and then sped on. At our next stop, our leader Doug informed us that we were going to break trail. He gave brief instructions of keeping spaced out and to lean to avoid flipping. I gave a reassuring “sounds good” and thumbs up and followed into the deep wood.

Wow. I could tell that even the experienced rarely get a shot at something like this. Deep, untouched mountain snow which provided many opportunities of sinking too far to your right or too far to your left. I was being taken somewhere they were not bringing the rest of the group. The guide was taking full advantage of not being weighed down by a tour group and bringing us back country.

Throughout most the journey I was solo, trying to keep up but not ever over-doing it. It was a peaceful loneliness. Yes, the four-stroke, though quieter and more environmentally-sound than previous engines, was the noise I heard, there was quiet in everything around you. I was also determined to stay in control. The biggest challenge was about to begin.

Up ahead they signaled with their arm the “steep” and “stay spaced” signal. What we were doing now was going downhill. Following the trail in front of me, I aimed my sled downhill. There was a challenge. I could not simply apply the brake with my left hand. If I did that I could easily cause an uncontrolled slide and flip over or catch a tree. So, although one’s instinct fought providing throttle, I provided just enough to guide me through the trees and stay in some semblance of control.

So there it is! We eventually met the trail and sped on homewards. When we returned we shared polite banter and business info. They pointed to the setting sunlight on the mountains saying, “Look at the Alpenglow!” With that we were on our way back.

For din din we ate cheese fondu with bread, broccoli and apples, grabbed some chocolate and an Auto Trader of Colorado and Wyoming for dad and headed back to our den.

Thanks for tuning in. Thanks to those buds that ATV and sled. I now have more understanding of what you have done. A general thanks for also being able to harness what this life has to offer!

2 Comments:

Blogger Aunt Tee said...

Hey Tony. Watch out for those avalanches!!!!!!!!!!!Sure sounds great. Sure miss you.

January 24, 2008 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger JF said...

I guess our snow-tubing trip to Green Acres yesterday wasn't all that adventurous after reading this!:) We missed you, though!

January 24, 2008 at 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home