Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Caucus Day

My friend told me that caucuses had changed this year and you could just show up, vote and leave. No longer did you have to hang out at the caucus as people passed resolutions to do knee-jerk things like impeach Bush. (Well said!) So, I shot up to the local high school after work to do just that. It was just as I was entering the doorway that it hit me – this event is much larger than usual. I made my way through the line and figured out that you could just look at the neighborhood map to find your ward and precinct and then, classroom. The numbers were so great that volunteers were having trouble getting any information across. So, we had just stood in line until figuring out that puzzle.

Making my way to the classroom I was greeted by an anxious volunteer in his thirties. He recited a joking reminder to every new individual that came in, that, for many years, it was just he and his wife representing his ward and precinct but that tonight, it would be different. He asked if I had caucused here before and, sure enough, all I had to do was point to the very top of list where my name was printed. I waited until 6:30, voted, and then left. (There was even a moment of shock when I saw my old sixth grade teacher buzz in, offer some directions and then leave.)

As I made my way back out towards the entrance it all began to hit me rather heavily. At first I reflected upon the fact that there were Obama posters everywhere, tickets for the soul food dinner being sold and the largest representation of African Americans I had ever witnessed at a political caucus. Perhaps it shouldn’t be as surprising, living in the neighborhood I do, that minorities had such a presence. But it was something new. It most certainly was. This was the first time in history that an African American had reach such a close proximity to the most powerful position in our nation’s government. In honesty, what difference did it make to me whether or not it was Hillary or Obama? I began to feel a bit shameful for writing down Hillary. It’s true all I hear when Obama opens his mouth is “new direction.” Hillary usually provides at least 4 points she represents, health care, strengthening middle class, etc., etc. But I had never seen such a presence of empowerment in the African Americans assembled.

The second thing to hit me was what hit everyone that attended their caucus – holy cow what a turnout! History is being made tonight! People of every race, gender, age were there mixed together. Every demographic imaginable was there!

Please allow me some of my ethnocentric patriotism, but what could be more American than this? Where else could you have so many people of such a wide spectrum, actively participating in a regime that is over 200 years old?! And regardless of who are next President is keep in mind that the 4 top candidates represent 4 areas of distinct discrimination – race, gender, age and religion. No matter who it is, it will be an historic first!

Yes, this could be “Democratic happiness” which many liberals felt last night, but it regardless, it was fantastic! A friend told me that on NPR a woman had stated, “This is the best thing that George Bush has done for the country!” Yes, that is probably true.

Enough politics for now! This was just a very momentous and truly historic American occasion!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home