Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Steamboat and the Flocked Below Timberline

Today was slope day at Steamboat. The day started at zero degrees, which has been pretty typical for us out here, but somewhat unusual for the area norm. We lucked out by getting complimentary tickets from a property manager, so we did not have to pay the $87 or so that is normal for a lift ticket in the mountains. It snowed six inches the previous evening and we were looking forward to having some powder.

We started by getting property shots of the ski in/out access from the condominiums. (We had to take a short shuttle from the condo we were staying at.) After having my director act as ‘talent’ for the footage, we hit some of the slopes ourselves. Having that dang tripod on my back puts me off balance a bit and also gives me pause, keeping the safety of the equipment in mind. It also draws attention from other skiers who always ask things like “What is that? “ or, “What are you shooting pictures of?” Some want to get in shots and many are well-conditioned to videographers being on the slopes. At least I don’t have the camera as my movement would be even more psychologically impeded.

At the higher elevation of alpine we entered a little winter wonderland. The aspen were glazed in hoar frost and the trees were both caked and fully dusted in snow, giving the appearance of flocked Christmas trees. It was my first chance of powder within the trees. It was crusted and heavy, so not the most ideal. The snow had been carved up in spots so that gave me reason to pause, but we did get a bit of footage.

We dropped off our gear and had a quick Fat Tire for lunch. After getting rid of the encumbrance and having a tad bit of liquid courage (affects are much more profound at elevation, mind you), I took the slopes with much less hesitation. The puffy snow was sliced with a rhythm and the day took on a happy hum. For my final slope I hit the trees in an “Expert Only” run. Usually looking at double black diamonds with an “I don’t think so!” attitude, I made an exception here. After a few ridiculous bumps which put me on my butt and back edge, I flew in more consistent powder with a quick zeal. The bluebird sky provided a nice backdrop, the flocked pines pressed shoulder to shoulder and that was a good day.

Our attempt to get back to Heidi’s restaurant for a Swiss sandwich failed. I wanted to get a head cheese sandwich! Instead, we had some Mexican and journeyed to the hot spring again. This time the air was colder and a hazy mist combined with the dark to make visibility nil. However, even in the dark the water was nice and clear.

Well, that’s that for now. We head all the way back to film properties and location footage in Vail and film the US Free Ski Open at Copper. My director secured us press passes so I’ll be one of those yahoos you see on the ski slopes with a camera on ESPN! LOL. Then we’ll spend one day south of Denver before we take our flight home.

Once again I’m not sure if we’ll have internet access, but I’ll update lil’ tidbits when possible and if remotely interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home