Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ocean Isle to Carolina Beach


Crossing over the causeway bridge brings you into Ocean Isle, a stretched-out island lined with two-story resorts and rental houses. It was cheery and colorful but it had little vegetation and mostly contemporary development.

I was lucky to be staying where I was. The Winds was unique in that it more or less encompassed by the garden. It was its own little Oasis. From a run I would take later along the beach, I could see that this property alone had a large quantity of palms, bushes and trees. During the shoot the following day I learned that the owner’s father had selected all of the vegetation himself, even importing the palms from Florida.

To get to my room, you walked through a tunnel created by the decks and growing things. The room was simple but you could hear the crashing of the waves, just over the dunes. I was thankful for the berm, as the wind has been something fierce. It’s been the windiest spring people remember around here.

An interesting tidbit from yesterday… When I was shooting the golf resort, I was guided by the manager who originated from Louisiana. As I shot, he liked to talk. When I inquired into the live oaks of New Orleans and how they faired Katrina, he mentioned that the weave in their grain makes them less susceptible to storm damage. It also made it difficult for him to split that wood when he was younger. (Old Ironsides was made out of such a wood). The conversation then steered towards food. He mentioned that the Po’ Boy sandwiches were different in the Carolina’s compared to Louisiana. He said that the poorer water quality of Louisiana (he attributed this to too much chlorine) made for more air pockets in the dough - maybe not good for hearty bread but perfect for a sandwich. Therefore, the heaftier bread of the Carolina’s was not the most ideal for a Po’ Boy sandwich. I’ll trust this Louisiana boy on that.

Yesterday’s food consisted of a piece of bread with peanut butter for breakfast, a handful of wheat thins for lunch and then… ten pounds of jambalaya for dinner! In the south, they give you southern portions! Cutting back remains a challenge.

A mystery that I must get to the bottom of… Texas Pete hot sauce all over the place! What’s up with that?

Um, back to today. Between shoots I thought I’d capture some quick area footage of Calabash and on the way back gave into a small ice cream cone. Home made ice cream. I went with the Plantation Praline. But just as I got a few good licks, I received a text that I’m heading to California. I had to give up on the cone, as it drizzled in many streams to the pavement below. I checked in and yes, I’m heading there after Texas. It’s exciting. Travel is a perfect path for a mind that can’t stop spinning!

Back in time for the next shoot, I completed it and then shot north towards Carolina Beach. The Neverlost guided me to the ferry. Paying the $5 and then following the line onto the barge, I parked my car and walked, filmed and observed the water around me. Big enough chop to clear the hull and spray our cars, the barge made it’s way towards Fort Fischer. This region was of such importance to the south that two months after the North took it, the Civil War was over. It was an important hub, ships came in and out and railroads transported from there. As you neared the landing you could see the clearing of the battery where the Secesh kept falling back to.

A friendly director aboard the ferry talked about the area, but also about what he missed most about his previous home in Marlyand – crab. He said that Marlyand steams their crab while Carolina broils. I imagine if you know something that well, it becomes an important distinction.

I can hear the waves as they continue to crash this Carolina shore. Once patrolled by Union vessels, attempting to stop the Confederate blockade runners. Trade between Europe and the South is what kept the war going. So important was this trade to Europe that they made plans to take the side of the south during our Civil War. President Lincoln knew, however, that Europe would not fight a war for slavery. This is one of the primary reasons Lincoln freed the slaves in the south. He knew if it became a war against slavery the south would not receive the alliance of Europe. Anyhoo, I'm thinking of the decks of those blockade runners, pummeled by the same rains falling outside now.

Right now there is lightning over the ocean and a rumbling pouring its way down the coast.

Busy day tomorrow as I must finish the shoot here then catch the ferry to Bald Head island. I get free passage, har-har-har!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home