Thursday, April 17, 2008

Little Sergeant Major

Let's just say I wasn't the one doing the puking this time! I showed up at the dive center bright and early. The man behind the counter said I must not have been contacted and that they were scratching the morning dive due to wind. They would be taking an afternoon dive if the winds settled and asked if I would be interested. This kind of monopolized my day. Not much would be achieved other than a dive.

On the way back I took some shots of Hemingway's old address, where he wrote 'Farewel to Arms.' I then returned to my place and did business stuff.

Sunny skies and winds subsiding. We shot out into the green water. My companions were from Connecticut and New Hampshire. Do you see a theme developing down here? The chop was not all that bad but some people were queasy. Our tanks were ready and the stop was made. We had been given the ten minute warning earlier and so got into our dive suits. My Akona 7mm has been perfect for the waters down here and perfect the cold waters up there! We strapped on our BC's and did the step out off of the back of the boat. When entering, it's always good to place one had over your face mask and regulator and the other securing any free dive computer and regulators. Kerplunk!

They told me that the instructors would stay with the less experienced and that me and this Jim guy would be partners and could do our thing. Awesome. It's fun to lead! We dropped down and were on our way. Let's go.

We were diving a mere 25 feet. Nice, shallow and so stress free! We made our way into a maze of coral. It was very much like going down grocery ailes at Cub. Only instead of cereal boxes there were shelves of coral, fishies, sponges and all sorts of stuff. There were lots of yellow rimmed Yellowtail snapper that swim all around and love to feed upon people's vomit. There were palm-sized Sergeant Majors, black and yellow striped, always inquisitive and look as though they want to know, "What's going on? What's going on?" There was the occasional, very thin Trumpetfish, big-eyed Mahogany snapper, Stoplight parrotfish, Four-eyed Butterflyfish, and a spiny lobster or two, receding for cover, butt first. It was great fun to slowly kick fin into a row, with the sides of it at least eight feet high on either side. Sometimes there would be a narrow channel and you could float through it with barely a foot to spare on either side. You could look in a crevice and see schools of fish hiding from danger. That first venture was especially nice because, save for my partner, we were completely alone.

As I dropped into another row I saw a five-foot nurse shark about a person's-length to my left. I did not want to create any Steve Irwin incident so gave him his space but watched as he moved from our invasion. There were also big Gray and Blue Angelfish, Barracuda and most scary to me, Grouper. They were harmless, and just sat near the bottom gazing up at you. It was their size, awareness of you and glug, glug of their mouths that made me interested.

I had the munchies when we came back aboard and ate some orange slices, an apple and some pretzels. I lost my partner due to puking (he had to surface once during our dive to do so.) A former Puerto Rican joked that he needed to have a mojito! I joined up with one of the young divemasters and some crotchity guy. This time we took the boat into what they called the 'hay stacks.' Coral in that respective size and shape stood on the ocean floor. I followed this guy's lead as he took us into the too shallow area and the swell of the sea pushed us forward and pulled us back. It was further compounded by the fact that we were going inbetween coral slits. You had to even use your arms to fight the swell. The other guy kept floating to the surface and you had to fight to stay under, being in the variance of the 1 atmospheric pressure range. It was kind of obnoxious. Let me lead dude!

Well, that was the dive. One frustrating thing was when the captain saw my camera and said that will get seawater on it. I took it back to the car. Dang it! I could have brought that with no issues. But are you going to contradict the captain's wishes? No way! One cool part was that we were near the air base. Jet after jet after jet took off and landed. Even during the captain's briefing he had to pause once or twice while an F-18 came in for a landing. It was actually pretty sweet to hear and see so many jets. You hear about our jets being up in the air continually. Here, it really comes across.

Back to 'A Taste of Greece' I went. I ate some chicken souvlaki, a Greek salad and some baklava. Oh, yeah, and a Retsina.

My last eve in Key West. I've got a chance to experience some of the Cuban culture, Duvall Street, the southernmost point, the Sunset Celebration, coral diving, and the wildlife. This morning I walked to my car to find an enormous pile of turkey poop all over the rear window of my car. Just moments ago a guy walking his dogs and letting them crap right on the sidewalk (pick up your dog's crap!) says to me, "Look's like you parked underneath a tree! It happens, bra!" So, um, yeah, the roosters. I heard that they don't know what time morning is and they start their noise at 2:30am. This morning I awoke to their sqwak. The time? 2:40am.

Gay culture is another big thing down here. While I didn't bump into the more notable gay quarter I did have a chance to talk to some of the leaders of the gay community. They worry that people think it's not as Gay down here as it used to be. I argued the point that it's because it is become a part of the mainstream. They agreed but also had concerns about that. When I asked them about tensions between the lesbian and gay community, the chairperson seemed to think it was totally inclusive. From the looks of things, I'd say the Gay crowd is much more populous than the lesbian, which would make sense. You are attracted to a place that meets your interests and your needs. I would say this place has more to meet the gay male needs. I had to chuckle as I overheard one gay couple talking over dinner about a show, "well it's sexy and silly!" He he! I'm happy they are happy here. I, however, am thinking about that damn turkey crap on my car!

Now it's time for a brief smoke of the pipe on the second story porch of my place. My scuba gear is rinsed and drying and the Wild game is on the net radio (Versus has the Capitol's game). Now is the time for Gaborik to shine!

It's about a six hour drive tomorrow, so I should shove off and give myself some time. Although I'm not looking forward to heading back to my least favorite part of Florida, Fort Myers, I get to end in my favorite, the Emerald Coast. Ultimately, it means I'm heading home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home