Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Florida Thunder and Loud Gulls

After property shooting I went south on the beach-front road. The sky was hinting at thunderstorms and I wanted to see the lighthouse before it hit. My stomach was calling for food so eating would be my first priority. I arrived at Ponce de Leon Inlet and stopped at the harbor restaurant. It appeared a popular place and I chuckled as I took my stool and listened to the solo musician on the stage. He played Billy Joel, UB40 and plenty other tunes, just him and his keyboard, drum machine and occasionally other instruments. It was amusing but I was more than ready to leave after eating my sandwhich.

At 175 feet the lighthouse is the the second tallest in the U.S., next to the one at Cape Hatteras. I was able to catch it in a break in the rain. Some of the episodes had the giant drops that were fun to pass between but heavy when they hit you. The drive back was through giant puddles that sprayed out in big arcs as you drove through them, even at slow speeds. It gave you an appreciation for what flash floods must be like down here and why you occassionaly see signs in the southeast posted in flood zones. The weather has been more like summer thunderstorm season lately, so we appear to be having different weather here as well. Nothing like a snowstorm, though!

Shells is a restaurant that I've enjoyed in Daytona. The seafood selection has been diverse, delicious and affordable.

Before heading in I strolled on the beach front. The beach strip is narrow here. There is the low seawall, about 12 feet for autos driving on the beach, and another 20 feet or so before the surf. At dusk the gulls congregate in large masses, hogging the beach and making perpetual noise. Although not normally one who enjoys taunting animals, I laughed as I witnessed a small boy and his mother running through the flock, scaring the birds into the air. I've tried to identify the black-headed ones. I believe they are Bonaparte Gulls, as they look identical to them, but I could be mistaken.

Now it is on to Orlando. With an early rise and drive to the southwest I head to the gigantic tourist destination. Although it is certain to be congested I hope that some playtime comes my way!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home