Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter (Lord Have Mercy on a Sharecropper's Son)

I began this day by walking from my door, down the steps and over to an adjacent house whose first floor had been converted to a small restaurant. I introduced myself as the videographer and after some chatting with the three behind the counter. I was then asked by the male of the trio "how hungry are you?" Not being much of a breakfast eater but also knowing that if someone asks you that they intend to show their stuff, I ordered what he had suggested. Here is what I feasted upon: two waffles, smothered in peanutbutter and topped with fresh apples, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, walnuts, coconut and a light syrup. When it was placed before me she added "he made you a double-order." I obliged this great hospitality with cleaning the entire plate. (I was sure to video the dish before I ate it up!)

Upon finishing my coffee, I took notes on what secret, local sites they thought I should visit. Then, I was off! I drove down 30A past towns like Watercolor and Seagrove. I then took 395 up to Eden State Gardens. I passed a newly renovated school that had existed since the late 1800's. It had a sign out front reminiscent of an earlier era of child guidance. I snapped a picture of it on the way back from my journey and will post it later in this story.

I pulled into Eden State Gardens. Volunteers were directing cars, parking them inbetween trees and bushes. I stepped out, grabbed my gear and saw that there were many families with little children swinging little Easter baskets. Ah, an easter egg hunt! I walked across the green, St. Augustine grass and gazed around. All about the property were giant live oaks with Spanish moss draping from their bows. Red and white Azalias and Camillas were in bloom. I walked around the the two-floor planation-style house to a long view of more live oaks, reflective pool, more gardens, gazeebo and dock extending out into Tucker Bayou. I took my time, southern-style, and enjoyed every step. Drifting down, from the end of the green near the bayou, came the sound of bluegrass. Oh, I hoped for a real band! the closer I got, the sweeter the sound, and there they were. Waco Wanderers. "Lord Have Mercy on a Sharecropper's Son." Banjo, mandolin, fiddle and the rest. Families had laid out blankets and their fried chicken, brought their dogs and children awaited the coming of the Easter Bunny. Soon, a woman, every bit the old southern belle, announced that the bunny had arrived. Up he was chaufered in a golf cart and the children swarmed in. That's actually when my aunt T called!

After pictures with the bunny, the children were led to the greater gardens and the egg hunt. As I walked over a guy ran over to me and struck up a conversation. He mentioned that he just started to do video in his line of work. A friendly guy. I presented me card and we chatted a bit more. Then it was time to film some of the hunt and more of the grounds. When I was near the Wesley house an elderly chap that appeared to be a volunteer asked me about the camera. He was suprised that I heard of where he was from. Rainy River Ontario! It was a rare to run into him for several reasons. This first of which is that the panhandle is predominantly visited by southerners. The rest of America flies down to where the major airports are. This leaves the north of Florida preserved both culturally and environmentally. Another reason is that Eden Gardens are a great secret! I was told that at least 3 times in one day.

So, I made my way, very slowly, back to the car. I had to take some time looking out from the porch. If there would be a heaven, this was it, for me. An old historic house, thousand year-old live oaks branching up into the sky with Spanish moss garland, blooming flowers, little yellow butterflies, sounds of laughing kids running through woods, water dogs jumping in pools with koi, a bluegrass band playing to happy people eating food on blankets, sincere smiles, a dock extending out into the bayou, a giant heron splashing into the water, wind playing with the trees and a rich southern sun, making it's way on down through the canopy, warming everything and everyone. But I don't think the Easter Bunny would be there.

I drove back and stayed for awhile in Seagrove. When I was walking, a group of college age boys woke up to me and asked me and started a conversation, asking if I knew where a pool would be. They both began and ended the conversation with a happy tone and a handshake. No, they weren't Mormons. They were from Birmingham.

After some video and a foot long, I went back to Grayton, spent time out on the beach and then went for a run. For dinner I had shrimp and crawfish in a light tomato sauce over penne. Man it was good!

I've included a shot of where I reside as well.

Now am back for my last night at Hibiscus and must rest so I can have a good first shoot! Goodnight!



(Fun note: If you are heading east-west while driving any street this week you will see the sun rise and set directly in front of you. It's an awesome effect and I got to experience it yesterday. This is due to the spring equinox, by the way!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home