Saturday, March 22, 2008

Redneck Riviera

I have arrived in the Emerald Coast, also known as the Redneck Riviera. There is green foliage, white sand, ocean waves and even mosquitoes. I currenlty reside in Grayton Beach.

Thanks to the little snowstorm we had (though it was beautiful, wasn't it?) the de-icing of the plane to Atlanta took too long. We arrived at 2 and the connecting flight to Pensacola was scheduled for 2:20. Upon arriving, I did the fastest walk I've had to do in an airport. I had searched my phone and discovered that the gate assignment had changed. The fun was compounded by having to take a shuttle as well! I arrived at the gate just as the last person was boarding. As I entered the gate I contemplated the fact that my bags might not catch up with the plane. They didn't. When I got to the baggage claim a heard a voice over the intercom say something about having an "Antony..." please report to the baggage claim office. This meant that I got to spend extra hours in the Pensacola airport waiting for them. But it was no big deal.

For a rental car I got a pretty sweet Pontiac G6 instead of the Malibu I had reserved. My original pickings were so slim, I decided to go with the Malibu. When I got to the airport they told me they only had 3 cars and they were all G6's. I was pretty pleased when I actually saw it. I got set up in the car, confirmed the car's Neverlost, my iPhone and the maps and away I went.

The bummer about being delayed in the airport was that clouds had rolled in and the sun sunk even deeper in the sky. Rush-hour had begun as well. The things that caught my eye in the mostly flat, one-level store fronted drive, was the ocassional island on which were built brand new hotel complexes. Many of these had some of the most unique water towers. But it mostly made me feel like I was in somewhere like Qatar or Saudi Arabia, where oil monies had fabricated an oasis.

As my FM receiver would not play the music from my phone very well, I turned on the radio. Lots of good country. (This isn't sarcasm. I like good country). Although, the first thing I heard when I turned on the radio was Garisson Keillor.

I drove through Destin and to Grayton, checked into my lodging, walked some of the white sands after sunset and then had grilled flounder covered in a crawfish red sauce with some Italian Pinot Grigio. That was better than airport food.

As tomorrow is Easter I have somewhat of a laid-back day. I will try and do some area shoots. But I have to sleep now. My brain is half-working right now. Just wanted to check in.

I've attached a picture of the lampshade in my place of lodging! "Peaches in Miami Beach Florida."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home