Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Two Shot Day

It went well. The properties I got to shoot today were pretty amazing. They ran from suites like the one I am staying in to stylish rental houses on palm lined lanes, painted in pastel colors that were especially highlighted by the sun. Although the wind has recently picked up and the temperature has been in the fleece range the sun and blue sky is simply amazing. There was a lilt in most of my steps, when I wasn't driving, that is. Even the drive 30 miles to shoot one room wasn't that troubling.

Since I'm near two Air Force bases I've seen F-15's quite regulary. Today there was an F-16 and an A-10 Warthog soaring through the sky together. That was something I have never seen before!

For dinner I went to High Tide for some local color. I try and make a point of getting most of my info and tips from locals. A property manager who has lived in the area for over a decade suggested a few different restaurants but suggested High Tide if I liked places a little 'seedier.' (That is true, I do, but you won't see me at either of the two men's clubs near by!) I sat at the Oyster bar where two fellows were shucking Apalachicola oysters. I ordered up some blackened flounder and chatted a bit. One of the fry cooks came from the back and gazed at the camera. He shot video himself. Skateboard, band videos and the like. He was really excited to talk about cameras and even showed me several he had pictures of on his cell phone. I encouraged him to keep shooting and gave him my card. I encouraged him to get his stuff out there. The important thing is that you keep shooting!

Another guy at the counter, originally from Virginia but who has lived in Destin for some time, offered many suggestions of what might be interesting in the area. He also talked about taking his boat out into the Gulf and fishing for flounder. The two shuckers/bar tenders mentioned other things worth seeing at well - A.J.'s, Floyd's, Bay Point, which is modled after New Orleans (minus for the smell).

(Have you seen Andrew Zimmerman do his strange foods episode in Minnesota? The travel channel has ran it twice in a row tonight! Watch it if you can!)

Earlier this night I was able to run on the coast towards the setting sun, then run back.

Tomorrow is more area footage and some on camera time. We'll see what adventures develop. There is Sand Castle building lessons at Alys Beach at 11am! Click HERE to see more about the beach.

The pictures attached are one of the little scoooters that people rent and zoom around in around here. I'll learn more about them and tell you! The others are the view from my balcony and some shots of the place that I'm staying in for one last night. An 'Italian' theme. My spirits allowed me to jump around on the bed. I also laughed pretty heartily staring out the six-story balcony at Orion and rising southern constellations. A giddy appreciation. Wishing I could share these places with my family and friends a little more directly. Know you are with me!

Sleep soundly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home