Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Alys Beach to Amelia Island

I’ve just returned from a night visit to the dark shores of Amelia Island! But before I speak of that, I should probably bring you up to speed. That is now, that I have an internet connect that may have a bit more than the previous one did.

Wednesday I checked out of my Southern Resorts suite, and traveled to a place called Alys Beach. Along the scenic drive that takes you to Grayton, Watercolor and Seaside, lies this new development. It was designed by a Greek architect and mimics forms, colors and traits similar to those found in Greece. I was looking for the sand castle building lessons. At the entrance to the beach was a manicured patch of green lawn, giant spherical vases and a white boardwalk. I met the sandcastele building gentlemen who had a small class of 2 kids. I got some really fun footage and spend some time on the mostly empty beach. The water was emerald and sky was blue. I then did some on-camera intros for the footage. Frustrations. The setting was perfect. A deserted sandcastle by which to crouch and do the typical intro. The frustration was that the wind and cell phone chatter ruined the sound recording and the sun was directly overhead casting my face in shadow. All part of the fun!

Check-in to my next lodging brought me back into the more hustle-bustle of Destin. This is where there are typical strip malls but also resorts and hotels that rise up into the sky, blocking out the sun. I'm in a smaller complex of rentals but the buildings I checked-in to were the kind that were practically skyscrapers.

I did not feel like bringing the camera to dinner so it sat in the car and I had myself some hot buffalo wings. Almost always, after having the super-vineagary, hot chicken wings and drums, I remind myself to get the teriyaki or bourbon next time. I'll have to heed that reminder, next time.

Thursday I spent some time waiting in the resort office. Apparently there was some descrepancies over an idemnity clause and it had yet to be resolved. (These are the kind of things that should be taken care of before they send me out!) After the people who make these decisions chatted back and forth on the phone the problem was resolved and I shot in buildings that were over 23 stories high. I also shot both of their golf courses.

When that was completed I went to McGuire's Pub. (Hi Tim!) They had a good stout and an excellent Yankee Pot Roat. It's potatoes, onions and meat were very flavorful and it was almost a challenge to eat it all up. Lots of protein!

Next was to the bridge area for some shots of the emerlad water and people at play in it. I also visited the dock area to get some shots of the tour and fishing boats.

Finally, I went to Watercolor (it was in the movie The Truman Show). Here I left the camera behind and got myself a shake. As is common with these higher buck areas, even the lesser-products are of higher quality. The plastic cup I was of so high a grade plastic that I decided to keep it and the napkin was of a heavy weight as well. I decided to spend my last bit of free time on the beach. The sand here is truely white. When you walk upon it, it feels as though you are walking on flour. When you lay down and press your head to the ground and look out at the Gulf the effect is splendid. Beautiful, sugar-white sand all around you and the emerald waters flowing above.

Today I woke early and departed Destin about six in the morning. Fog added a mysterious element as I found my way to I-10. My first stop would be in Tallahassee. Only 14 miles from the Georgian border, I thought it would be a nice sample of a southern city. It was fine, just fine. My main focus became the little historic quarter downtown and then a stop at the Metro Deli for a BBQ pulled chicken sandwich, with coleslaw placed right in the mix and served with a carrot. I had some Cheetos and orange pop. You must have orange pop if you plan on doing it right!

The historic quarter was a square with live oaks dripping in Spanish moss. Along the streets were houses, many of which predated the Civil War. One house in particular was from where the Emancipation Proclamation was read after we, like so many southern things, had commandeered it. I also stopped an old church that was being renovated. The busier atmosphere as of late had provided the sun with a nice, big halo. The church was thus transformed into a holy miracle. So transformed was I upon seeing this that developed a halo of my own.

The remainder of the trip along I-10 was pretty uneventful. It’s like driving along the corridor up to Duluth. Just imagine the vegetation a little softer. There are still mostly pine trees, but they are mixed with deciduous and gentler grasses as well.

After losing my way on Amelia Island a few times, I eventually found the office and was assisted by several helpful woman. I was given the keys of rooms I will shoot tomorrow and suggestions on where to eat. I am currently staying in one of three newly built 10 story resort buildings. My balcony hangs over the beach and the crash of the waves can be heard as I write this.

After a run on the more typical, tan sand, shell crushed Atlantic, I went to ‘The Surf’ which unfortunately fries all of its seafood. Why do that to beautiful seafood?! Give it to me raw and wriiigggling! ;) But I ate it and returned to visit the beach for a short bit.

Walking down the low-lit boardwalk I began in my giddiness as it pointed straight out to the black, white topped ocean and the speckled stars above. I walked through the sand and went to the edge of the surf. I brought my audio recorder, placed it down near the tide line, stood and watched. The waves are big enough to roll and crash, presenting a foam line that changes its travel up the coast depending on many variables. It was exciting. With a fun shiver and my hood around my head I listened to the roar and made certain the water did not bathe the recorder.

Tomorrow I start with shooting rooms in this complex and then get key cards to get access of the different resort complexes, golf course and other ammentities. I will also try and tour the island which looks as though it has an old Confederate fort and some Spanish antiquities as well.

The day is near done and it was cool to see a west and east coast all in one day.

Hope your weather back home continues to be at least as good as it was today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home