Thursday, April 10, 2008

Kayaking with Manta Rays & Manatees


Now this is why I took this gig! I kayaked through tunnels of mangroves crawling with mangrove crabs, built upon the ancient midden mounds of Calusa Indians, out to the sound to have a manta ray flying to my left, a manatee snorting to my right, ospreys, herons and pelicans soaring above and having my HD camera to video the world!

Here is the quick version. I woke at 4:30 and left at 5am. Drove 2.5 hours from Fort Meyers Beach to St. Pete’s Beach. Videoed stuff. Drove 1.5 hours to Cape Haze. Got comped a kayak tour and a sunset cruise tour. Went kayaking through mangroves, saw and videoed birds, crabs, manatees and fellow kayakers. Grabbed a quick dinner. Flew back for a two hour cruise. Shot the sunset and surround. Took the ferry to my current lodging.

OK, now in more detail! I woke at 4:30, grabbed my previously packed bags and left Fort Meyers in the dark morning. It was so nice to leave that congested place! I got into my realm of music, especially now that I purchased a cheap cord to plug directly into the car stereo deck instead of broadcasting through the FM transmitter. Some chill tunes, some thundering and passionate soundtracks! I arrived in St. Pete’s Beach early, so I took a brief snooze. I met the property contact only to discover she hadn’t yet seen the video agreement, etc. Let’s cut this part short by saying that it had nothing to do with my responsibilities but also that I had gone all that why for, why? Well, when life give you lemons… I shot a few quick captures of St. Pete’s to get the feel which did not take long. The beach was not as busy, being so early, and I caught some funny signs. Let’s head to Cape Haze.

Next it was back down south, half the distance of my previous northward journey. Cape Haze did not seem as ‘happening.’ But for me, the sole two-lane road which took me there also meant it may be less obnoxious than places like Fort Meyers beach.

I located the office where I would check in, but being that it was early and not check-in time yet, I thought I would catch some quick lunch. A plate of healthy grilled tuna and veggies for me. Next, I chatted with a captain at the dock who directed me to Grande Tours. After a very brief and friendly discourse, I secured both a comped kayak and sunset boat tour with the exchange of some advertising footage. The trip was taking off soon and so, let’s go!

I grabbed my gear, tucked into my kayak and joined our guide Chris, a mother, father and their two daughters. Through years of being on tours, I’ve always found an excuse to linger behind, have some special alone time with the surround or tuck into something others didn’t see. At the gardens of Williamsburg, Haggis water caves of New Zealand or, now. Take some time to linger and you’ll start to see spirits.

This time we paddled together and when I saw something of interest I would pull my camera from its protective drybag and shoot. By the time I was done, the group had shot out of eyesight. But with a few paddlestrokes, I was in the pack again. We paddled into mangroves. Mangroves are big tree-bushes that grow in shallow water. These particular mangroves had low tunnels which you could kayak through. All amongst the branches were these black, spider-like crabs which slowly inched upon the network. I let the group pass and had the tunnel alone to myself.

We came into a more open area and our guide pointed the surrounding features and some history as well. We shot out into the sound and then back into another opening. At this point Chris pointed to an arc of mangrove which had grown upon a specific Calusa midden mound. I knew well of the Calusa. These are stories I have told every year for a decade. They were a indigenous tribe which resisted the Spanish and, in fact, where never conquered. Instead, the Calusa succumbed to disease but had taken many Spanish conquistadores down before their own extinction. The leaf I' m holding grew from that very mound.

As we went out into the open water of the sound, a manta ray flew up through the air, six feet from my port side! I could see his wing-like form and thin tail behind him. Exciting! Then we went further into Gasparilla sound, named after the famous Spanish pirate. We were looking for manatees. Although not too optimistic, I was hopeful. Chris said to look for a smooth patch of water, with a large shadow beneath it. He had told my earlier that he had only seen one in the last six months. With determination and a bit of magic on my mind, I focused on that water. I believed hard enough, looked right at a patch of water, and then… a walrus-like doggy snout popped out and snorted! Oh man, it was cool! I was alone with it and called the rest over. He kept on poppin up his snout from time to time and even lifted his head out for a bit - just a person’s length away. I'm sorry I don't have a picture for you as I gave the priority to video taping.

When we were done I grabbed some quick tuna sashimi at a restaurant and then went back for the sunset cruise. The group gathered in chairs on the boat and Captain Dennis took us out. It was nothing too spectacular. We saw the sound, a golf course which the Bush’s play at, some very rich people houses and boats and then the sunset. The coolest thing was that we got to see dolphins. They were frisky and eating fish. Dolphins are always so nice to see.

When we returned, I anxiously raced back to the ferry landing. I had discovered early that that was how I was to get to my next shoot and place of lodging. I drove on to the ferry and was brought across. At the outside check-in they were a-waiting and drove me to my place in a golf cart. (Earlier I passed many little carts running around, one even decked out as a Hummer. Good grief!) The driver conversed in a very removed, butler-like tone, dropped me off and when I inquired where to meet my contact in the morning, he mentioned that I would be picked up at 7:25am. There was no time to do much but shower and prepare for Thursday. But it sure looked swanky there!

This morning I was greeted with my pick-up and chaffeured to the office. After our discussion I was given the boss' golf cart and left to roam the island for filming. It was a beautiful, hot and the clouds were not yet accumulating, save for some thin wisps which framed structures nicely. I chuckled like a goon as I drove around, doing my best Mr. Rork impression many, many times. "I am Mr. Rork, your host. Welcome to Fantasy Island." For you underlings who have no reference, look up Fantasy Island on YouTube. I also had to take a goonie mug of myself. Why take oneself so seriously?

The island had 4-plexes, 8-plexes and houses. There was a restaurant, store, swimming pools, tennis courts and a kids area where they were meeting with a pirate! I secured my camera and tripod with one hand and steered with another. I had never driven a golf-cart before. It was fun. Mine did not have a speed governor!

After the shoot I decided to hit to road instead of linger in Cape Haze. Back up and east to Orlando. The accompaniment today was Dixie Chicks, Gogol Bordello, Gai Sabre and Return of the King soundtrack. The sky got puffier and puffier as the day progressed, but the sun shone brightly.

So, now I am here for a shot tomorrow morning. I'm currently staying at the complete opposite of my former lodging. No private ferry here! Now it is a Super 8 Motel, right along a truck corridor. Plenty of J-braking and air assists. But I'll take this over the bacchanalistic humm of Fort Myers, especially knowing tomorrow I leave once again.

I hope the weather at home improves. Believe it or not, I miss it. There is no where on earth like home.

And, oh, by the way, it looks like I will be home for Greek Easter. I can not say how much that means to me. Kalinikita kai teleme...!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home