Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Cool Thunderstorms

A few of these places are blending together down here! St. Pete Beach, formerly St. Petersburg Beach, was another coastal strip with one to two story commercial buildings, resorts, cottages and ever so often you can catch a glimpse of the beach between buildings. My lodging was the most home-like I've had as of yet. It was a two-story cottage in a residential neighborhood all to myself. I had my privacy and the entire floor level of a house with a nice big bed and a TV. The furnishings and warmth made me feel as though I was in a cousin of my own abode.

Both of my shoots were at similar, cottage-style, properties. The sun has been playing hide-and-seek but made itself available for shooting time. The palms are abundant. Thick, St. Augustine grass, which stands up to the southern heat is healthy, and crushed shells do the same job that class 5 or yard mulch does at home. Colors of upkept buildings are vibrant pastels and you can find a manatee mailbox, ever so often.

It seems weather has run amuck everywhere! Flurries and cold weather back home, cold throughout the center of the states and even snow flurries in England and and heat and thunderstorms and Florida. The skies have been filled with big storm clouds, occasional lightening and dispensing rain. Ever since Orlando the storms have been moving in. Sunday night, a huge thunderstorm hit, pouring a deluge of rain and cracking thunder that actually made my ears ring! But I was cozy and could sleep to the sounds of rainfall.

Last night, as I was looking forward to chill time, I head back, popped on the TV, and then the power went out for a few hours! :( I sat outside for a little while and ran into a woman who said we've got the rain of the entire month of August in one day! I don't know if that is accurate, but it shows how this weather has been a surprise to Floridians.

As I was running around shooting properties, I saw the Coral Reef hotel. I believe it was the same one we stayed at when I was little? It was run down and may have been closed. Kind of sad but that seems to be the fate of a few restaurants, shops or resorts anywhere.

Now I'm down in Fort Myers Beach, wondering why people visit. It seems especially congested. There are many options for grass-roofed tiki and shore bars and plenty of people at play. If you don't mind lying near scores of other folk and the barrage of music from bars and street traffic, this just might be your place.

As with both beaches in St. Pete and Fort Myer, crushed shell seems to be what lines most shores. I don't know if it is the entire composition of the sand, but it was something I've noticed. The compacted sands are much easier to run on, however!

Huh, I just saw a guy I got my ice diving certification with get injured on the Discovery Channel. He's one of the camera men on the Most Dangerous Catch show. Sorry for the sidenote...

So, even though I wake at about 4 tomorrow morn, I'm looking forward to getting out of here. Though, I know I will be back. It feels great to move on! It looks like the return home comes at the end of the month! Now to sleep to the lullaby of bar bands echoing through the streets of Fort Myers Beach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home