Tuesday, April 22, 2008

There is A Lot of Sun in Florida

Today I was cruising around Marco Island in a white Porsce Carerra, top down and soaking up the Florida sun. Well, it wasn't my car nor was I the one driving. The property manager was bringing me to the different properties. To make things a little more humorous, she turns to me and asks, "Do you like Jimmy Buffet?"

To end the shoot we stopped at a house that was one of the more remarkable I've seen. It was single-level, but spacious and had many doors which opened out into the pool area, covered by a great big screen canopy. Just outside was the access channel to the ocean. You could take off in your boat after a nice swim in your pool. You'd be down to Key West in about three hours. The place would run you $3,500 for a week, but I've seen one condo go for that much in Vail for one night's stay.

Next I was off to Naples for a shoot in a golfing community. I really had an urge for a donut and coffee. To my extreme great pleasure I found a little French Bakery. It was run by a husband and wife. She was from Norway, he was from Provence. It was tough to choose, with so many wonderful French pastries, tarts and breads. I ate a light cheese and egg roll, apricot tart and coffee. The tart was cut like a piece of pie and had thick pieces of fresh apricot baked right into it. Oh, man it was delish! After finishing my coffee I walked to my car and was feeling so rejuvinated I just had to walk with my arms straight up in the air!

I've discovered some more things about much of Florida. Many people come from the north and stay. They say that the weather takes a little bit to get used to. After awhile, they say you get so used to it that ten degrees of temperature difference makes them shudder. That is why you'll find people from the likes of such places as New York or Massachusetts who can no longer imagine moving back. Just thinking about winter makes them cringe.

Times have been tough down here. This year was one of the worst for the rental/resort business. Luckily, spring break pulled them out of their hole. Some housekeepers have told me that they are short of staff. Places that would require two people to clean now are cleaned by one.

Squirrels are a rareity here. Even people that were used to seeing them up north will point and shout, "Squirrel!" Some kids are scared of them.

This season has incredible weather every day. On the coast, you have an awesome sunset or sunrise every day. People congregate near the beaches, become quiet and just let the sun ease itself into bed.

So...

On my way to Naples I took advantage of a brand new iPhone web application called Fly Tunes. This allows you to listen to internet radio and select a variety of stations. I plugged my phone into the car and tuned into some nice Baroque. I tell you it was nice, cruising along into the beautiful day with some pieces written for recorder and harpsicord, classical guitar, violin and the like.

I dealt with some pretty cool women at my next shoot. The resort sat between golf courses called Mustang, designed by Lee Trevino and Pelican, by Arthur Hills. I rode in the rear seat, facing backwards as I was driven around by the two very amiable and jovial sales managers. The last person to stay in one of the rooms I shot was John McEnroe.

As much as I've dissed Fort Myer's, the place I am currently staying in is very cool. It's got a great view of the ocean from my fourth story perch.

I plan on packing a lot into tomorrow. The morning will start with a shoot and then I take the two-or-so hour drive to St. Pete's Beach to have lunch with my Godfather and aunt. I'm looking forward to seeing them. Then I plan on heading to Tarpon Springs! I'm really excited to soak up as much of the Greek town as possible. Then I'll head on up to stay in Tallahassee. I plan on finishing the drive to Destin the next day, in time for my shoot.

More good weather back home. That's cool! I've devoted myself to soak up as many walks and runs on the beaches that I can. It's important to be mindful of the beauty around you. I'll give a 'Yasas' to Tarpon for everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home