Friday, April 25, 2008

Final Days of Sun and Sand

Wednesday was a busy one. I finished shooting in Fort Myers Beach and made the two hour drive to have a bite to eat with my godfather and aunt. It was his birthday on Tuesday so I gave him a little present of Retsina.

After the meal and checking out the rooftop view of our restaurant, I made my way up the windy coast to Tarpon Springs. This city boasts the largest Greek population in the U.S. Prospering in the sponge diving and trade until a disease nearly wiped them out (the sponges, that is), Tarpon Springs has remained a center for Greek culture.

It's a good indication you are hitting the town when you see business with names like Koulianos, Kavouklis and Pappas. Many a white and blue-striped Greek flag flies and there is plenty shops serving souvlaki, dolmathes and Greek coffee.

My stop was an import shop that I had become familiar with via the internet. It had many of the cliche and tacky nic-nacs that tourists buy in visits to Greece, but some products that Greeks actually have interest in as well. I had to check out the soccer, music and movie sections. There was a friendly old woman minding the counter and I soon met the owner. He was in his late 30's and very smiley and interested in conversation. We went through the music section and explored the offering. There are many types of Greek music and I do what I can to remember them. Tsifteteli is one of my favs and big in Greece. It comes from Asia Minor and has a heavy Arabic and Turkish influence. The scales and modes give that heart-wrenching pull as can only be felt as you move from Greece and further east. Rembetika is an old form of resistance music, and was popular with those fleeing the Greek-Turk conflicts. Written in the 20's, these lyrics sing of much drugs (which was usually a precursor to performance), sex and counter-culture. Much of the popular music has a cheesey-pop feel, as viewed from our American pop perspective. But unmistakeable and undeniably Greek, is the Bazouki!!! The Greeks do a fabulous job of integrating this very Greek instrument (large, mandolin-ish) into all of their music. Techno and club has the wonderful instrument integrated into it as well! There is nothing more of an homage to Greek culture than this instrument. Long may it live!

Well, enough about the music. Let's just say we spent a good deal talking about it. I scoped out some tradtional Makedonian music, Tsifteteli and contemporary.

They had many Disney movies all in Greek. It was fun to see the covers.

We spoke also about the European styles of soccer and agreed that the British were the most fun to watch. We laughed about the Italians, always with long hair, shirts untucked and socks down to their shoes. Their style tends to be slower (especially by Germanic standards) and somewhat strategic, especially when it comes to drawing fauls! LOL. But they have won the World Cup four times and are phenomenal. Unlike most countries, most Italian players stay on Italian teams! On a funny note, he mentioned that in the airport in Italy there was a gigantic add with players from the national team, posing in nothing but their speedos. Viva Italia!

Basketball rivals soccer as the most popular Greek sport. He mentioned that Greece beat the U.S. in the last World Cup. I didn't know that!

So, yes, we talked on and on about many more things. It was exciting for us both, I think. He seemed to go on and on and I felt like I was doing the same.

Then it was a 3 hour drive to Tallahasse, slept in a cheap hotel and then woke for the 2.5 hour drive to Destin where I shot some cool properties. One view, was in the gorgeous, beach-front house. The view stunned me. From the rear porch, two colums framed the few down the dock, to the sand, to the chair and umbrella upon it and to the greenish ocean. Clouds accented the sky above. With my polarized sun glasses, I actually told the manager that that was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen.But this place has a lot of the 'most beautifuls' and that is why people come here.

After some tacos and a sundae for dinner I walked around the planned city of Seaside. I've mentioned this place before and it is a town that has only sprung up recently. It's numblingly cool! The architecture is very boxy and has the two-tiered, southern porch design. Nothing is over two stories, and if you have a third level, it is a look-out/observation room. Just imagine a contempoary, clean take on my house front, doubled. I gazed in the solitude and looked up at the sharp, boxy architecture, set against popcorn clouds in the dusk sky.

I floated down the cobblestone (paver) streets and felt like a disembodied ghost, floating down their streets and looking from side to side in complete rapture. It feels somewhat as it does when you walk through Colonial Williambsburg with no one there. You see all of the cool architecture, which has many similarities, but you also start to see all of the individual accents. If you had an architecture degree, money and time, you would build the things you will see in Seaside and Watercolor.

Before I head back, I crossed the busier main drag, passed under the sleak wooden pyramid which was the gateway to the beach. The stars were up and I was alone with the white sand beneath my feet and waves gracing the shoreline. I looked up at the constellations and begin to get lost when you start to see the southern hemisphere. My phone called up the chart and I got my bearing again. Hello again, to the other side of the world. Puppis, Pyxis, Antila & Vila. Haven't seen you since New Zealand!

Today's shoots brought me to beachfront towers in Panama City Beach and rental houses throughout the coast. Whilst the last shoot was dragged out due to mis-communication my work had with the manager, I was eventually on my way. At least I got to explore these wonderful houses, that are all along this glorious coast. I will continue to encourage people to visit this beautiful area. Sigh.

After my shoot, I was looking forward to making the most of my last stay in what has become my favorite area of Florida. How lucky I am to complete my trip in the Destin region. As a friend put it, perhaps it's 'Destin-y.' Har-har! I was going to head back to Alys Beach, that Greek-styled town that was white, new, spacious and open to the sky and sea. I drove back to an area under construction, but devoid of people. I parked my car, walked across the 30x30 patch of golf-course like grass, up the wooden stairs, continuing across the level deck, and down the stairs into heaven. In front of me was the sea, 4 sets of beach umbrellas and chairs, the white sands and the emerald waves hitting them. All to myself.

No one was around! The sun shone and waves hit. I put my belongings on at little table beneath the table and danced into the sea. From afar you would have seen what you thought was a child playing in the sea. But as your drew closer you would think, 'that guy must be drunk!' I teased the waves by running into them, jumping over them and laughing at them. Their power would make me wobble as I waded through them. You could feel where the sand had eroded beneath your feet and also why they broke so hard there. I grabbed my camera and got pretended it was as waterproof as I, attempting to get a good wave shot. It was nailed by a wave or two and I thought it best to put it down. This time I crashed into the waves and swam out into them. I wanted to feel the power of the undertoe and my curiosity was sated. It was strong, but I kept myself safe. On the morrow I wished to be tending to my garden at home and not the one below!

It was difficult to drag myself away. Even a few mouthfulls of salty seawater hadn't discouraged my zeal. Perhaps next time I would have someone to share a cool wave with. But by myself I can be as silly as I wish. Stop for a moment to watch the tiny bi-valves, wash up in a wave and burrow themselves into the sands in a blink of an eye, then take a scoop of wet, white sand and throw it into the sea, and then run into the crash of a big green wave. The Emerald Coast.

Night saw some sushi in Seaside. I ordered eel sashimi (means raw), blue crab rolls and seaweed salad. They cheated with the eel by putting BBQ sauce on it. The rolls were good. You usually get the customary soy sauce, shaved pickled ginger and wasabe (horseradish stuff). You should take the wasabe and mix it into the soy, making it as spicy as you'd like. It's good to take the ginger, put it on the sushi, and dip it into the soy and pop the whole thing in your mouth with chopsticks. Or you can uses that ginger as a refreshing cleanser. Whatever you like. (There was the occasional Blackhawk or Raptor which flew overhead too!)

To me, Asian food offers the most complexity of tastes - which makes it my favorite. Like having an intellectual conversation, stimulating your senses in so many a way, but often leaving you wishing you had more. French and Italian food seems to be more similar to anomorous rapture, leaving you with a warm smile and need for a wonderful nap.

This Florida assignment is coming to and end. I will be returning relatively soon. But as with all assignments, I find out when I'm told.

I will miss parts of this routine, but mostly, some parts of the unique state. I've covered details enough, but the Emerald Coast will continue to hold a special memory for me.

Oh yes, a word to all those good people... As I've said before, I have but myself as my constant companion. So, the correspondence with others does help to break the monotony of those with myself. Don't get my wrong, I've chosen the solo path I lead, but the companionship from afar is very much appreciated. I am blessed to have such good friends and family that take the time and make the days I wee bit less lonely! True friendship and support. I want to let you know that it means a great deal and will speaking with all such people very soon!

Cheers, and I hope your daily travels treat you well! Ciao!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home