Wednesday, June 25, 2008

World's Largest Tiger Muskie

Ah yes, now where was I? Another early start and I was off to see one of the big character statues that are so prevalent in Minnesota. This one commemorated Chief Wenonga. He led a small war party of Ojibwa down to attack a Dakota village. His war party was forced to retreat into a swamp. The small band was sure to be decimated, but Chief Wenonga and his sons performed a holding action, allowing the survivors to retreat while he and his sons met their fate.

While not cartoonish, the statue is not the most authentic. But you have to hand it to the people who erected it, for honoring the noble actions of a great leader. This statue now looks over what is now known as Battle Lake, the name of both the body of water and town adjacent to it.

{Work tirade removed}

Detroit Lakes is a larger town, but centered around its lakes like most of these north western destinations. The bigger towns (and smaller lake communities too) all seem to have a Zorbaz restaurant, a beachfront and lots of resorts. Most of the resorts have cabins built some 40 feet away from the shoreline, docks for fishing and landing boats, an assortment of canoes, kayaks and water toys, one fishing boat per cabin, a pontoon boat and some sort of lodge that may have a game room, ice cream bar, etc. On one end of the spectrum you have busy places with jet skis and motor boats towing tubes, kids runnings around and adults drinking. The more low-key places can have a quiet and serene atmosphere. Right now I hear nothing but crickets, loons, “boinging” frogs and occasional owl.

I make a point of going out of the way to take in the more rural of towns. Mahnomen, the home town of one of our favorite characters, was grain elevators and train yards. Search for the business district and you’ll find a storybook main drag. The Red Apple could not be a more welcoming small town café. Sit up at the bar and get a coffee and piece of rhubarb cream pie. Next to you you’ll hear a sad character dispense the news of a local’s passing. “Are you going to the funeral?,” the waitress will ask. Another gentlemen, every bit the Sam Elliot will come up and greet this fellow with a “You’ve got a moose tick on you!” He will then affectionately remove it.Meanwhile, the somewhat aloof elderly woman seated at the cash register, asks a new customer what she planted this year. Upon hearing that she didn’t plant anything save tomato plants in her washtub, says, with a elderly chuckle, “Well then we ain’t got nothing to talk about!”

Park Rapids is a more bustling of towns. On Main street you’ll find a great mixture of restaurants, cafes, antique shops, odds and ends shops, outfitters and a movie theater. A distinctive feature of Park Rapids is the cars parked in the middle of the street, as well as angled parking on either side. It immediately strikes you as a great idea and you wonder why more towns don’t have this feature. Sure makes it easier to find a parking spot. In fact, being that they are under new construction, the town was asked what they wanted, and this was one of the main features they wanted to stay!

Dorset is the “Restaurant Capital of the World.” You see, if you have 4 restaurants and a population of 26, you can call yourself this.

My stay at the Sleeping Fawn was very relaxing. This was one of the more tranquil of sites. Coming back after shoots I made sure to leave a little evening time open even though I got some evening shots for the property. I jumped in one of the kayaks and went out into the lake, doing a circuit and then returning for my rod and reel. I tied on a stinky rubber fish (as I have no bait) and went out near the lily pads. Lots and lots of hits, but the lure was intended for larger fish, methinks. So, I pulled me in a rock bass. That little guy did the playful leaping out of the water that bass do. I can see why people like to catch them so much. I looked at his red eye to confirm what he was. (I’m still not the best at fish identification.) I got plenty more hits and a sunny was my last catch. Returned both right away after catching. The water was like glass otherwise it would have been a pain to keep correcting that little kayak.

Last night there was quite the storm that came up. I saw the news today talk of the big storms that hit North Dakota but die off here. Well, I was hit by that. About 2:30 in the morning and the windows flew open. I secured them but they flew open again. Normally quite enjoying storms, I thought it would be good to pack and get my gear safe in preparation for the worst. I did so as the wind buffeted the cabin. I also worried for the rental car underneath the tree. It’s been weird weather up here this spring and almost each of these areas have been hit with tornadoes. After consolidating and preparing, I returned to bed. By morning it was peaceful.

This morning I thought I should get shots of Itasca, being so close. Today, the park encompasses and protects the headwaters of the Mississippi at Lake Itasca.

For hundreds of years explorers had be trying to find the true source of the Mississippi. But it wasn’t until 1831 when Henry Rowe Schoolcraft, led by Ojibwa leader Ozawindib, discovered it. He gave the lake the name Veritas Caput, or “True Head.” By removing the ‘Ver’ and the ‘Put’ you get, ‘Itasca.’ (I never tire of telling that one.)

Anyhoo, the headwaters are bunch of piled rocks separating the lake from the river and forming a little cascade. Waves of visitors come, but you can find some alone time with it if you desire.

After the next shoot I head to another small town. Nevis has the “World’s Largest Tiger Muskie” as well as bars like the Iron Horse and the Muskie café. It had quite the ice cream bar and a candy shop in the back with barrels of toffee and a small, but wide selection of fun toys, preserves and the like. “Resorters” frequent it the most but locals do as well. I ate at the Iron Horse, had their burger with sauerkraut, bacon, swiss cheese and fries. I decided to come off of my diet of dried fruit, graham crackers and yarba mate tea from the previous day. Next door had a root beer float awaiting.

So, that is what it’s been so far. I love this state and love the time I get to explore. I must admit, however, that the pace is becoming wearisome. Soon I’ll be back for 4 days but hit the road again. We’ll see what balancing acts can be performed.

Tomorrow, I may be sleeping in the woods. The sales peeps have a way of neglecting to mention my comped lodging when they close a deal. Some times resorts have a tiffy. So, tomorrow I may be sleeping in the woods. I’ll let you know how that goes. Mosquitoes and ticks here I come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home