Saturday, July 12, 2008

Must of Missed a Tick Somewhere


The name of my new friend is Doxycycline. After the constantly sharp headaches, neck stiffness, etc., I swung into the ER in Grand Rapids. Treatment of tick borne illnesses seem a pretty common thing here. Within just a few moments of describing my symptoms, the doctor began writing out the prescription. The pharmacist was also quite helpful. Taking a look at the prescription... "Tick bite? Do you got the nasty headaches yet? Don't worry, I've been there!" He told me that the joints will next start to feel as though they are breaking, but that the Doxycycline should kick in before I get that far. Side effects are sensitivity to light and possible nausea.

So, I hope that is that and this takes its course and clears things up!

Going back in time a bit... My shot this morning was at a resort right on Voyageur's National Park. When I showed up the previous evening he did not want to shoot due to the crappy weather and storms that have been rolling through here. I did have to do a little talking him into it. The option was always there to do it whenever we'd make our way to the Canadian border again, but whose to say what the weather would be like then? As it turned out, the next day brought plenty of sun before more storms came.

Wanting to do nothing but collapse on a couch, I changed my state of mind when the owner said I could take a kayak out if I would like. Grabbing a boat and a dry bag, I grabbed a life vest and a sea kayak, though the rudder wasn't functioning, there was no spray skirt and the foot pedals were adjusted for someone much shorter.

As I pulled out of the bay, I pushed bow first into the surging waves. The wind had turned the lake into white caps. I wanted to head out into the waves to prevent being rolled over. But it took a few bow 'slaps' and waves over the hull for me to realize I should be heading back. You don't do this in a boat you are unfamiliar with and should have a spray skirt and proper foot adjustment in those kind of conditions. I went back and collapsed but can say I kayaked in Voyageurs.

Grand Rapids as been kind to me. The people have been very nice and this cheap hotel feels luxurious. Best to collapse before shoots tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll have more useful info and grander adventures next I send word. Hope your summer is treating you all well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home