Wednesday, July 16, 2008

“A Scary Night”

This newspaper headline reflects the weather this region has seen as of late. Many a thunderstorm has been swinging through the area. The recent article was referring to the wind damage and several tornadoes which had swept the Iron Range.

I had a chance to be alone with a few different cells that crossed Burntside. I was on the southern shore, the cells crossed the north. The sun was setting. This was a perfect recipe for observation.

Setting up the HD camera on one tripod and my SLR on another, I was standing at the end of the boat landing.

The clouds danced in swirls, doubling back into themselves in smoky whisps. The colors were mostly gray and purple and lightning repeatedly struck the ground. The storms stretched east leaving a long tapering tail that still wreathed in severe updrafts.

I let the camera run for many minutes. Later I will make a time lapse. I then shot individual swirls and areas where lightening seemed to be most dramatic.

There was the occasional spinning tentacle trying to touch ground. You could hear the rush of wind across the lake, gust across the water and crash into the trees on my shore. I felt the electric surge of excitement and new it was time to throw the gear and myself into the safety in the car and coast back to my cottage.

It should make for some great footage on an HDTV!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home